Estofado is a basic beef stew cooked with various vegetables at a moderately high temperature (heat varies depending on cook). It is one of my favourite dishes so today I share a recipe and a possible presentation.
- Beef strips
- 1 cup of beef stock or cooking base
- Peas (pre-cooked from a tin)
- 1 cup of white wine
- Cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
Optional ingredients include: garlic, curry and tomato sauce.
- Cut onion into rings and fry in a pot for 2 minutes
- Add beef strips and sliced carrot and continue frying
- Add beef flavouring (stock or base)
- Cut potatoes into long thick pieces and add to the pot
- Add 1 cup of white wine
- Allow to cook until boiling point then reduce heat to low
- Add the peas,salt pepper and oregano
- Continue to cook on low heat until potatoes are ready
This is one version of many of this typical recipe. There are variations of this recipe with more or sometimes less spices, the inclusion of tomato sauce, curry and the absence of wine.
This recipe works well for my taste, I hope this reading has tempted you to try it for yourself.